– Grow Wairarapa (Economic Development Strategy & Action Plan) – activity in the Grow Wairarapa space.
– ANZ Chief Economist Sharon Zollner. 2 Key points from her address regarding China & the Reserve Bank
– Visit from Hon Simon Bridges and Alastair Scott MP. Joined with local female business leaders and Marie Claire Andrews.
– Grow Wairarapa: The Governance Group, Steering Group, and all three Action Groups (Knowledge Intensive Industries, Food Action and Tourism groups) have met to discuss the first steps in implementing the Economic Development Strategy & Action Plan.
– Sigh of relief as Captital Gains Tax is scrapped
– Wellbeing Budget to be announced on 30 May 2019, using the Treasury’s Living Standards Framework.
This quarters results show:
– Slight downturn in business confidence
– Biggest barriers are compliance, staffing issues and competition
– Most unsupportive of the proposed Tax Working Group’s Capital Gains Tax, marginally more support for Fair Pay Agreements
– Members aware of the Wairarapa Economic Development Strategy and Action Plan. Focus should be water, transport, housing and internet.
– NZ Customs Brexit conferencer call. Advice given to NZ exporters to the UK in preparation for a ‘no-deal’ Brexit.
– Provincial Growth Fund presentation by WREDA showing a good structure and framework for decision making
– Met with e-commerce retail platform Shopify to discuss setting up in the Greater Wellington/Wairarapa region
– Co-hosted a consultation evening with Masterton District Council regarding the revamping of Queen Street
– Actively representing local business on the Wairarapa Economic Development Strategy Steering Group
– Met with Federated Farmers to discuss ways to work together
– Attended the quarterly Chamber of Commerce Central Hub meeting
Guiding our organisation for the next year, the strategy falls out of our vision statement:
Where your business belongs
Our mission is to represent every Wairarapa business, providing leadership, creating opportunities and sharing ideas through the principles of link, collaborate and influence.
The strategy document has a number of key objectives.
We welcome and feedback you may have.